Is It Possible to Paint Over Your Old Car Paint?
Can You Paint Over Your Old Car Paint or Is Stripping the Better Option?
A car is a huge investment, so it’s only practical that you’d want to enjoy it for as long as possible. But let’s face it, you will outgrow your car’s color at some point and when that happens, you might not have the luxury of getting rid of it and buying a new set of wheels. The next best thing that you can do is give it a good paint job.
But the question is: is it okay to paint over your existing car paint or do you need to hire a paint stripping service? Here’s what you need to know:
Painting over old car paint is okay.
You might be thinking, “if I can paint my walls without removing the old paint, I can definitely do it with my car,” and you’re right, to some extent. If you don’t want to go through the process of removing old car paint before replacing it with a new coat, it’s completely okay to paint over the old paint, but with a few important considerations:
- The car is relatively new. If your car is only a few months or a year old and the existing finish is still in good shape, you can simply sand it to make the surface smooth and apply the new paint right away.
- There are no damages to your paint. Before you can paint over an existing coat, you need to make sure that the surface is as smooth as possible or you won’t have a clean finish when you’re done. This means no cracks, peels, bubbles and dents that will affect the quality of your paint job.
Paint stripping is still the better choice.
Although there’s nothing wrong with painting over an existing car paint, you also need to remember that preparation is key to the success of any kind of paint job. A paint stripping service will give you the following benefits:
- It removes all imperfections in the surface. Automotive paint stripping done by the experts will ensure that the entire surface is smooth and ready for a fresh coat of paint. You can easily restore your car’s former glory without spending a lot of money.
- It removes rust from your car. Dustless mobile blasting involves sanding the entire surface of your vehicle, which helps to remove any existing rust on its metal frame. This will not only help you extend the life of your car, but it will also help ensure that the new coat of paint will really adhere and stay long. This means that you won’t have to do any repaint job any time soon, which can become a huge expense.
- It makes your job easier. Whether you choose to repaint your car as a DIY project or you want the experts to do it, booking paint removal service will make the job a lot easier rather than doing everything manually where you could get a lot of dirt and dust flying everywhere at your home.
So, if you ever need to give your car a fresh coat of paint, make sure to book the best mobile dustless blasting near you. You can also contact us at Minutemen Mobile Blasting, LLC for more information regarding any of the services we provide, like Industrial and Residential Services.